Sunday, February 22, 2009

Small things

Have you ever thought about the small things that make life so much easier? Take for example, the ability to run (Let alone PLUG IN!!) your washing machine and dryer at the same time. I know it sounds a little silly, but oh man, for about 4 months we've been without that ability. We would have to run a load or two through the washing machine, and then start drying. If I was lucky, I'd get 2 maybe 3 loads done on a Saturday or Sunday. Not really the way I wanted to spend my precious time off, if you know what I mean.

Today, Jody and I headed for Lowes, then Home Depot, to find a dryer that "worked". Our old one would run and run and run for hours if it wasn't set at JUST the right spot. Sometimes, it didn't run heat, just tumbled and tumbled the clothes. If we didn't unplug the dryer at the end of the cycle, and if we didn't make sure it was unplugged, it just kept running. No, the heat wasn't going, the tumbler wasn't spinning, but it was eating up electricity. Our last power bill, because of the darn dryer was nearly $$$300... YIKES!

I got my income tax return, and have been itching to get a dryer. So, today we took the mini-van off to the store and found a dryer. Jody carted it out the door, loaded it in the van, drove home and carried it up the stairs and did a dryer install. YEAH for working dryers!!!!

The scary thing? Well, as Jody was pulling the old dryer out, I noticed burn marks on the side next to the washing machine. I know that we blew a breaker about 4 months ago (when all the dryer trouble started) and when we plugged in the dryer for the first time after fixing the breaker, there were sparks flying. *sigh* I think we got off easy these past 4 months, but it is scary to think about.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Not fun, I'm glad you have a working one though. Some things you just take for granted, and maybe we should be more grateful for the little things in our lives. Thanks for giving us all the reminder. (And I'm glad nothing bad happened to you.)